Directly to navigation - skip meta navigation |
To contents - skip navigation |
To multi purpose bar - skip contents |

History

Former Times of the Braunschweig University of Art

The "Hochschule für Bildende Künste Braunschweig"/HBK (Braunschweig University of Art) was founded in the year 1963. Hence, it is one of the youngest art universities in Germany.

However, its history goes back to the "Zeichnen Instituth" (Drawing Institute) that was established in 1842 by the Braunschweig local trade association. The co-founder was the court-appointed master bookbinder Johannes Jakob Selenka. Since 1985 the name of the forecourt of the HBK at the Altstadtring reminds us of him: Johannes-Selenka-Platz.

From this drawing institute of the 19th century the state-approved Municipal Trade, Arts and Crafts School developed which shortly afterwards changed into the Master School of German Handicraft. The actual predecessor of the HBK was the Braunschweig Municipal School of Fine Arts, founded in 1952, which then became the State University for Fine Arts (SHFBK) and finally in 1978 the Braunschweig University of Art.

The SHFBK was equated with the scientific universities of the state from 1972 onwards and a few years later included into the Higher Education Act of Lower Saxony as a University of Arts and Sciences. Since then it owns the right to award doctorates and postdoctoral lecture qualifications. This accreditation was followed by an expansion of the university - both in workforce and premises.

In the year 1984 the award-winning new building by the Braunschweig architects Krämer, Sieverts & Partner was inaugurated. A few years later the university moved into a former factory building where many of the art classes are now generously accommodated. The extension to the library building constructed from parts of the Mexican pavilion from the EXPO 2000 and designed by the well-known artist Ricardo Legorreta is for now the latest addition to the university campus. In June 2010 the HBK was given premises by the City of Braunschweig to be used rent-free for contemporary art and design exhibitions over a period of five years.

Last amended by Office for Press and Communication