Directly to navigation - skip meta navigation |
To contents - skip navigation |
To multi purpose bar - skip contents |

Applications with a DAAD scholarship

Language requirements


In order to participate actively and successfully in your studies you need good knowledge of the German language. Therefore, foreign applicants have to proof that they have sufficient knowledge of the German language - at the latest at the time of enrolment.

Enrolment is limited to the duration of the scholarship.



As a rule all foreign students need a visa. Students have to apply for this visa at the appropriate German diplomatic representation in their home country before entering Germany. Should you not have enrolled at a German university yet, entrance into the country is usually granted with a ‘prospective student visa’ which is issued for the orientation period or for learning the language. When finally enrolled at a university in Germany, this can be changed into a proper ‘Study Visa’. You should not enter the country with a tourist visa as in Germany this cannot be extended or changed to a different type of visa later on. In that case, students can only apply for a new visa back in their own home country.
There are no visa requirements for citizens of the European Union Member States, Island, Liechtenstein, Norway, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland and the USA. Here only a valid travel document must be shown on entering the country.

Health Insurance


Students who enrol at the HBK Braunschweig need to present a valid health insurance. Even students who study at the university for less than a year need to have proof of sufficient health cover for the duration of their stay in Germany.

EU Citizens


Students from EU countries need to provide the European Health Insurance Card issued by their insurance company at home. This needs to be presented to one of the compulsive health insurance funds in Braunschweig which will then issue the student with written proof of valid health cover that is needed to enrol at the university.

Non-EU Citizens


Students from countries outside the EU need to establish proof at one of the compulsive health insurance funds in Braunschweig that they have taken out an overseas health cover that is recognised in Germany. Students from countries with which Germany has concluded a social security agreement can present proof of insurance from their home country to one of the compulsive health insurance funds in Braunschweig. They will then be exempt from the obligation to take out insurance.



If you are interested in a study course at the HBK that is supported by the DAAD, please apply directly to the DAAD for a scholarship and find a supervising professor. In order to do so, please contact the International Office with a convincing portfolio. Your documents will then be forwarded to a professor. Should you already know who you want to study under, please let us know his/her name. If you already have the confirmation of academic supervision from a HBK professor please forward this to the International Office. The International Office will then send this confirmation to the DAAD who will let us know if you will receive a scholarship.

For further information: International Office

Last amended by Office for Press and Communication on 13.03.2014