Directly to navigation - skip meta navigation |
To contents - skip navigation |
To multi purpose bar - skip contents |

Applicants with a foreign university entrance certificate/Applicants who want to change universities

Academic requirements


As an Art University the HBK Braunschweig has been equated with other universities. German applicants have to confirm their higher education entrance qualification. For this reason all international applicants have to confirm a higher educations qualification which is equal to the German certificate (Abitur). Whether your certificate is equal to the German Abitur or not will be examined by administration of Braunschweig University of Art.
We advise international applicants to submit certificate of school education and academic records with application documents. All documents have to hand out an attested copy of original certificate as well as translated version, English or German language.

Language requirements


In order to participate actively and successfully in your studies you need good knowledge of the German language. Therefore, foreign applicants have to proof that they have sufficient knowledge of the German language - at the latest at the time of enrolment.
The HBK does not offer language courses. Please use the courses on offer at the language centre of the Technical University Braunschweig.
Proof needs to be established with the following tests:

  • ‘Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber (DSH)’ which needs to be passed with an overall result of DSH-2
  • ‘Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache für ausländische Studienbewerber (TestDaF)’ with the result containing a minimum of TestDaF level 4 in all four parts of the test. The International Office of the HBK Braunschweig also knows equally recognised language tests.
  • Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz - Zweite Stufe/ German Language Diploma of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany - Second Level
  • Zeugnis über das bestandene Goethe-Zertifikat C2/ Confirmation of passed Goethe-Certificate Level C2
  • Zeugnis über die bestandene Prüfung "telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule" / Confirmation of passed exam “telc German C1 Hochschule".

Certificates of language skills must be provided upon application. If you cannot provide for a confirmation of your language skills by that time, a confirmation of participation in a German language course level B2 is required instead.

Special requirements


Beyond those requirements Chinese, Mongolian or Vietnamese applicants have to add the certificate or rather the attestation of the ‘Akademische Prüfstelle (APS)’ to their application documents.



As a rule all foreign students need a visa. Students have to apply for this visa at the appropriate German diplomatic representation in their home country before entering Germany. Should you not have enrolled at a German university yet, entrance into the country is usually granted with a ‘prospective student visa’ which is issued for the orientation period or for learning the language. When finally enrolled at a university in Germany, this can be changed into a proper ‘Study Visa’. You should not enter the country with a tourist visa as in Germany this cannot be extended or changed to a different type of visa later on. In that case, students can only apply for a new visa back in their own home country.
There are no visa requirements for citizens of the European Union Member States, Island, Liechtenstein, Norway, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland and the USA. Here only a valid travel document must be shown on entering the country.

Health Insurance


Students who enrol at the HBK Braunschweig need to present a valid health insurance. Even students who study at the university for less than a year need to have proof of sufficient health cover for the duration of their stay in Germany.

EU Citizens


Students from EU countries need to provide the European Health Insurance Card issued by their insurance company at home. This needs to be presented to one of the compulsive health insurance funds in Braunschweig which will then issue the student with written proof of valid health cover that is needed to enrol at the university.

Non-EU Citizens


Students from countries outside the EU need to establish proof at one of the compulsive health insurance funds in Braunschweig that they have taken out an overseas health cover that is recognised in Germany. Students from countries with which Germany has concluded a social security agreement can present proof of insurance from their home country to one of the compulsive health insurance funds in Braunschweig. They will then be exempt from the obligation to take out insurance.

Travel health insurance as a rule is not sufficient.

Application Procedure


Please observe the varying dates for the application procedure at the HBK Braunschweig.

  • Artistic tests as part of the admission procedure for the artistic or design oriented Bachelor programmes Communication Design, Industrial Design, ART.Education, Performing Art and the Diploma program Fine Arts
  • Application procedure for the academic Bachelor programme Aesthetics & Art History and Media Science
  • Application procedure for the Master programme Transformation Design, Aesthetics & Art History, Media Science

Fees and Tuition


Each semester the students are required to pay term fees of about Euro 360. The term fees include tickets for the public train systems in Lower Saxony and the Braunschweig Transportation Company.
Each student pays for her/his own study materials. The HBK Braunschweig has its own comprehensive library.

For further information: International Office

Last amended by Office for Press and Communication on 19.06.2017