Semester abroad

There are many reasons to go abroad. Getting to know other cultures and countries, developing one's own personality, strengthening linguistic and intercultural skills, etc. A stay abroad provides insights into other working, teaching and research methods and broadens the view of professional perspectives.


The HBK Braunschweig is taking part in the EU Erasmus programme.  A semester abroad is only possible with Erasmus partner universities with which an inter-institutional agreement has been made.


Susanne Fleischhacker
+49 531 391 9141

You must first apply to your university which will nominate the selected students at the HBK Braunschweig.
The nominated students have to apply at the International Office of the HBK Braunschweig.

You must submit the following documents:

  • ortfolio
  • An official transcript
  • Application form
  • Reference
  • Covering letter
  • CV

Before Mobility
All Erasmus students must complete a learning agreement. The Before Mobility section must be signed before the start of studies. The forms for this can be obtained from your university.
The electronic directory of lectures lists the module catalogues and events for each semester.

During Mobility
If the Learning Agreement needs to be amended after arriving in Braunschweig because you would like to add/cancel courses you must make the necessary changes.

After Mobility
For the final part of the Learning Agreement you must submit all examination results and certifications to the examination office or the International Office in order to complete the final part of the Learning Agreement and compile the transcript.

The application deadline for an exchange in the Summer semester: 15 November.
The application deadline for an exchange in the Winter semester: 15 April.

All scholarship holders will be regularly informed by the International Office and the tutors. The tutors and the International Office can help with any questions and offer support in preparations and after arrival, similar to a buddy programme i.e. scholarship holders can be accompanied in any visits to the authorities.
In addition, everyone also receives a contact in their subjects for determining course timetables and answering academic questions.

It is recommended you apply for a room with the student services. The International Office at the HBK Braunschweig can assist you in this.

It is important you do this in good time as there are only few rooms available.

Courses at the HBK Braunschweig are taught in German. It is therefore recommended that you take German courses in your home country or via the online Linguistic Support (OLS). Good English language skills are recommended to help with any problems you may have with the German.
In Braunschweig it is possible to do language courses in theLanguage Centre of the International House at the TU Braunschweig.

Yes, all exchange students and scholarship holders are fully enrolled.

The following are required:

  • 1 passport photo
  • Proof of German health insurance
  • Payment of semester fee
  • Enrolment application

The semester fee must be paid before enrolling.
The semester fee includes the semester ticket which offers students free use of all public transport in Braunschweig and select buses in Lower Saxony and parts of Saxony-Anhalt as well as the use of all student facilities (e.g. the canteen). This semester fee is not the same as the tuition fees.

No, not if you have a European health insurance card.


Information will be available soon.

University Partnerships

Information will be available soon.